Friday, July 18, 2008

Last Days – Cornerstone Festival 2008 – Day 7

Saturday – Rounding the Corner – July 5, 2008

This is the hardest day of the fest. Time when friends, new and older, start packing up and seriously talking about their exit plans. Rocco and his crew are planning to leave this evening after the late sets. It comes too quickly…just so darn quick.

I worked the Press Tent for the day. We heard from Josh Garrells, Dan Spitz, who was formally with Anthrax, Chris of Aradhna, and Charlie Peacock . Fun Press events.

I didn’t spend much time today in music tents. Being the final fest day, my time after working the Press Schedule was spent seeking out friends for that last face-to-face conversation before we all said good-bye. Sadly, I never got an opportunity to say hi to Donna at the Asylum this year. I love her and Michael and what they bring to the fest.

Tonight, the Gallery Tent was a bit weird for me. My former studies teacher was performing! WTF. Yes, I knew Charlie was a performer/producer but I don’t know him that way. AND yes, I know other artist/performers/etc but I knew them as such before sharing a cider with them. Thought was given to not attending tonight’s 7:20 show until Andi said, “come, I think you might like it…” So, I went…and it was strange at first…but I liked it…well, I liked it after the whole screaming for my teacher, hearing his name being yelled out like a rock star, seeing him on stage as a performer, and listening to people sing along with him – and audience members yelling out songs that they wanted to hear...it kind of sunk in!! What’s up wid dat??!

There was a weird kind of ownership and pride I felt for him tonight. He was awesome as a performer! He sang a song rhyming Funky and Monkey – and I dug it. But he’s him… even in the grocery store…he’s awesome, mostly forgiving, and brought me a Lemon Shake-up…now, that’s priceless.

This year, I actually stayed for the Lost Dogs set because one of my fave peeps had a special gift to give to the guys…a Mama Dog with the 3 sucklings…another priceless moment.

Tomorrow is another Travel Day. Ben and Anna are planning to hit the road by 4am. Sadness, I really like them. Ben will not be able to join us for Cstone 2009 due to entering Military Service – guess we will have to kidnap Anna and make her the family rep at Camp 77s.

No comments: