Friday, July 18, 2008

Generate Me – Cornerstone Festival 2008 – Day 5


Thursday – Stages Galore – July 3, 2008

Oh, I forgot the mention all…of…the...generator…stages…on…the…grounds…this…year. Kind of a good idea – but maybe this should be parred down a little next time. There is a stage every few feet. How many stages of white boys playing one chord behind another screaming into a microphone does one need? Just asking.

The best of the Generator Stages was the Indie Community Stage. They actually had it set up like a legitimate stage and invited some interesting players to decorate it.

This stage was set up, not too far from the walk path to Camp 77s so there was no excuse available for not stopping in.

Wednesday, I went intentionally with David C & Trish L to check out Homer Hiccolm and came away with a CD I still have not had a chance to listen to. We ran into the Knox clan there (David has a skirt and purse pic somewhere). I really dig those Knoxblox peeps.

Thursday’s events were pretty full starting with Jack London early in the afternoon. They performed a good set under the tackily patched Gallery Stage big tent. The band is very talented and fun to watch. IIRC, they are supposed to have a disc out in September. I am very interested to see how their live show transfers to the studio. Think The Choir Boyz could capture that energy but don’t think they were asked…oh well.

Jan Krist took the stage around 3pm. Jan spoke of and quoted Anne Lamott during her set – ummm, I love her even more as Anne Lamott is my girl crushes! We had a chance to share A.L. stories after her set. I went away glowing a little.

Jeff and Ping put on a pretty awesome show. The band seemed to be more in sync than in the past…maybe it had something to do with Jeff’s wife and daughter being in the audience. Whatever the motivator, I really enjoyed them.

Had a chance to duck into the Rue Royal set for a few minute on the way to pick up some forgotten items at camp. They still have a good sound but nothing detectably different from last year.

Yummy Goodness BATMAN!!!!

The evening was adorned with the 77s and Over the Rhine…well, Degarmo and Key sandwiched in-between. Nice night for a concert.

The 7s brought the ROCK! The four did their thing and put smiles on attendee’s faces. It was so good to see David L on guitar again. His presence seems to bring a special energy to the other 3 members. Thanks for coming to Cstone, David!

I attended the Degarmo and Key show as proxy for friends who could not be there. OK, yeah, I must be one of the only people alive in the 80’s who had never heard their music– oh, and how the gods had been nice to me. I took one for the team.

Seriously, for ‘80s music, I guess they were good for their time, but dang, can we get any cheesier? I think I saw god leave to get an elephant ear and coffee after the first love-dove-above rhyme-like sequence.

Over the Rhine took their usual Midnight spot on the Gallery Stage. Kenny Hutson joined the band and yea, new musical colors and beauty. I applaud Karin for doing the REAL version of Changes Come. That song needs to not be watered down for certain audiences. Strong emotions call for strong words…thanks for keeping it real…

Back at Camp 77s, we had one of those 4am bed-timelaughingwellpaststupidandenjoyingoneanother’scompanynights. Yea for friends with fun minds.

No comments: