Saturday, August 9, 2008

It's Alive: Jonell Moser - 3rd and Lindsley

August 08/2008

Energy + Big Voice + Joy = Jonell Mosser.

Mosser is one of the hottest Nashville area singers in the Blues, Country and Rock markets. Friday, she and her band played, with addictive joy at 3rd and Lindsley. I still smile to myself when I think about it.

Filling the stage with cover songs and original contributions, the attentive crowd was transfixed through the two sets Mosser and her band offered. She mentioned on a number of occasions that she had spent the first part of the day locked in a studio listening to her own voice and songs over and over again, hence the reason for so many covers.

Previous to this outing, my only association with Jonell Mosser has been as guest vocalist at area events, knowledge of her association with Townes Van Zandt, and the lonely cd Around Towns” that I was fortunate to add to my collection a couple of years ago. Needless to say, I have wanted to see a full Jonell Mosser set for years but scheduling conflicts have kept me away…but no more…I want to see more.

Jonell Mosser - 3rd and L 08/08/2008Jonell Mosser and Band - 3rd and L 08/08/2008

The last set at 3rd and Lindsley was Tom Hambridge and the Rattlesnakes. It was not until after Jonell Mossers’s set that were we informed that the later show and time was reserved by an area Frat. Yep, bad vibe.

After being talked into staying at the venue for the evening show by Mosser, my friend and I stepped outside for the hour long break between concerts. Our only concern at that time was of not encountering the fast talking homeless woman we met the last time we were on 3rd South.

We re-entered the venue a little after 10pm fully expecting the next show to begin not too long afterwards. Ummm, no dice. If not for getting into conversation with other attendees, we would have been out of 3rd and L when the Frat finally decided to stagger in a little after 11:30pm. Soon after, the band hit the first chords and begin to rock the house.

Tom Hambridge - 3rd and L 08/08/2008

It was late…I had spent the first of my day in my rent paying job, was exhausted by waiting, and I needed to get home to familiar surroundings so we left near 1:30am. It had been a long day. It was just long enough to whet my appetite for another.

Peace,

z



(c)2008 Wrosesongs
All Rights Reserved

No comments: