Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It’s Alive: Mike Farris

3rd and Lindsley 08/24/2008

Photobucket
It’s seldom that I come away from a concert with as many mix emotions as I did this past week leaving Mike Farris’ Nashville Sunday Night performance at 3rd and Lindsley.

Nashville Sunday Night is sponsored in part by Nashville radio WRLT (www.wrlt.com or 100.1fm). I love this live event and try to be in the audience as much as my energy and wallet allows. This week featured Mike Farris, an artist I have come to love and respect, and Audrey Spillman, an artist whom I have heard a little buzz about around town.

I was excited to finally hear Audrey Spillman but came away a little disappointed because her beautiful voice was overshadowed by her “marketing the rack” stage presentation.

Ms. Spillman’s set was filled with ass slapping, finger wagging song interpretations and mike stand seductions. I was afraid that before her set was complete, the audience was going to be forced to witnessing the making of a mike stand baby daddy.

Since that performance, a quote from Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders has been ringing in my ears.

[directed to women in music]: "Shave your legs...Try not to have a sexual relationship within the band...Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look f**kable will help. Remember, you're in a rock 'n roll band; it's not 'f**k me,' it's f** you'!"

Enough Said.

Mike Farris brought it as he seems to do whether there are 10 or 1000 people in the audience. He brings so much joy to the stage and makes even the stiffest person rock a little chair dance.

Recently signed to INO Records, Farris’ joyful music is going out like a prayer to various stages.

Included in his 2008 tour schedule, Mike Farris hit the Bonnaroo Stage well as Cornerstone Music Gallery Stage where he has been voted by many bloggers as the Best of Fest.

Formally of the critically acclaimed band, The Screaming Cheetah Wheelies, Mike Farris has found a new career in Christian music. He is finding new life after his two year recovery from Drug and Alcohol addiction. He is a man renewed…a man on a mission…a man finding his roots and singing through to the other side.

Salvation and Lights, Farris newest offering reads like an alter call for those who sway to blues, rock, and soul. Filled with fresh arrangements of old gospel numbers and recently penned songs, it pulls from the witnesses of old and calls out to the new.

Farris says, “When I'm playing music, it's like prayer to me. I'm closer to God than I ever am outside of my prayer. That's the best way I can portray what I'm feeling in my heart.”

Sunday night, 3rd and L played like a old time Tent Revival which was good and interesting…

Interesting fills so many voids doesn’t it?

Because of Farris’ charismatic stage presence, he was able to focus the concert attendees attention away from the audience of praise dancers and distracting screamo, bad tambourine players who where trying very hard to be heard over the band during the radio broadcast.

Yep kids, there was a show on the floor.

Nevertheless, Mike Farris is a keeper. He has been embraced by mainstream and zion audiences and has the vocal power to keep one interested and coming back for more.

zss

© 2008 Wrosesongs
All Rights Reserved

No comments: